Shhh.. Don't tell the deer!

Please don't tell the deer that chickpeas are legumes! Those darn darn deer have been in the garden again. A few of the tomatoes have been topped and the pole beans decimated. ARGH! So frustrating.. Of course, it's my own fault for continuing to use deer netting instead of finally investing in an actual electric deer fence. But, I was busy this spring and hoped that this year would be different. NOT! 
Happily, the chickpeas - which remarkably, are outside of the (pathetic excuse for a) deer fence - are thriving.. They have loved this heat and dry weather and the plants are super bushy and about 15 inches tall. They're a black variety from Afghanistan that I bought from Bakers Creek. So excited about this as homemade hummus is one of my favourite treats.. 

A delightful tangle of chickpeas!
Yesterday we finally had a deep rain. Hours and hours of solid, steady moisture with another shower just a few minutes ago. I just spent a 1/2 hour in the garden pulling weeds, clearing a large area, as well as spent peas, chamomile, poppies and salad greens. Time to enrich the beds and replant - one last planting of potatoes for a fall harvest, daikon radishes and also plenty of carrots for fall and winter (mulched). You know it's been a good weeding session when it's not just your hands that are dirty, but also your arms, shoulders and entire outfit! Oh yes, and it was just pointed out to me that my face is also streaked with dirt. So, to sum up:

Deer 1
Niki 0

Weeds 0
Niki 1

Guess I'm breaking even?? :)

Love this fine foliage