Party on, Nutella!

Creamy chocolate . . . hazelnut . . . yum . . .

Yes, I love Nutella. It's like a mash-up of so many of my favorite things. And isn't chocolate like the new health food these days? Yeah? I thought so :-)

What's more, according to the Nutella folks (and probably kids everywhere), it's the perfect thing for breakfast. I admit I hadn't thought of Nutella as a breakfast food until I was invited to host a Nutella tasting party with some of my friends. Nutella sent samples of the spread and other goodies, along with information on how to enjoy Nutella for breakfast. It is, after all, the most important meal of the day.

I decided to host a little playdate where the moms and the kids could try out the Nutella. We chatted, drank some coffee and tea and tasted Nutella spread on whole grain bread and animal crackers (hey, kids love animal crackers!). It was yummy! And I think the kids liked it too -- at least my (messy) son did.

Now, my son is a breakfast eater, so we don't have any problems there. But I know that other moms have trouble getting their kids to eat in the morning, especially when the menu consists of healthy foods. Nutella encourages them to look to the spread to help get their kids to eat healthy:
When used in moderation with complementary foods, Nutella® can form a part of a balanced meal. It is a quick and easy way to encourage kids to eat whole grains, such as whole wheat toast, English muffins, toaster waffles and bagels. With the unique taste of Nutella®, kids may think they are eating a treat for breakfast while moms are helping nourish their children with whole grains.
Although I don't have problems with breakfast, my son often wants treats for snacks. And by treats he means junk. So, I would look to Nutella on whole grain bread with sliced banana on top, or spread on a whole wheat tortilla, as an occasional snack option.

You can learn more about Nutella by visiting their web site. They have a Tips for Moms page set up and you can also download a coupon for $1 off a jar of Nutella. For those of you who really, really love Nutella, they are running a sweepstakes for a case of Nutella. That's 12 jars! Check it out HERE.

Review disclaimer: I was invited to host the tasting party and received samples of Nutella through MomSelect. I was not otherwise compensated and the opinions expressed here are entirely my own.